Friday, December 3, 2010

Be Handmade


In our generation; we do, we make, and we learn. Why can't I be apart of this desire?

I read blogs all about crafts, fashion, bicycles, photography, and flowers. They inspire my creative side and help me explore the world of lovely things. All of the blogs I read are so original. The blogs are individuals or teams that dream up beautiful things.

I'm jealous. (period)

How does one become original? How did you become original?

I am currently working just two days a week cleaning house for my grandfather. Its nice to not be working 45 hours a week. Now that I have all of this new found freedom, I want to work on all of the projects that I've been bookmarking for years. I've done a good job of finishing them, but I want them to be appreciated.

I would really love to start an Etsy store and go to fiber shows or handmade fairs. How do you start this process?

Sewing is really what I love to do. I need to practice more but would really LOVE to be great at it. To rip apart old clothes and make new, fresh clothes.

I want to be original. I want to dream up a killer skirt or lovely dress! I want to use my hands that God gave me to do something beautiful and good.

In Africa, I thought up a company that would give back to the children that I spent the summer with. Slum Skirts, making skirts from recycled skirts, dresses, or shirts. The money would go to needs of the children I met in Togo. Slum Skirts wouldn't just go to Togo, but to families in Malawi, Thailand, Ethiopia, or other third world countries that are in need.

Take care of the widows and orphans, God tells us. So why do I worry about being original when I already am? God made me to have a heart for Him and for the church. This is my inner struggle. I want to be a beacon for Gods love, and I want to do that through being handmade.

Love for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment